4x founder, 3 exits — currently building Podia, an OG in the creator economy since 2014, AMA!

Happy to be here!

Aside from founder-market fit, which you’ve stated you’ve found in serving individuals over orgs, what are some other unique requirements of getting B2C (or rather prosumer?) SaaS right?

I’m not sure if B2C businesses have unique requirements. I do think community and brand building are a lot more important in B2C. Treating your customers like they’re an extension of your team is a useful tactic.

To add some more context to this. Most industry benchmarks and the overall discourse tends to be heavily skewed towards B2B startups. The few relevant pieces of advice that do come through, don’t miss out on highlighting that the B2C/prosumer model is prone to significantly higher churn and fewer account expansion opportunities.

You’re correct that churn is significantly higher for B2C startups (4 to 5% if you’re good) versus B2B (net negative churn to 2% if you’re good). What I always say about this is that while that is true, there are far more B2C customers than there are B2B customers. Your pool of customers as a B2C startup could easily be in the tens or hundreds of millions like we see at Podia.

3 Likes