4x founder, 3 exits — currently building Podia, an OG in the creator economy since 2014, AMA!

Saw that Podia accomplished the rare feat of becoming a profitable, venture-backed startup a couple of years ago. Kudos on that!

Thank you so much. It meant a lot to me, because it gave us the freedom to take more product risks!

I’m assuming keeping costs low as you scaled was a big part of it. And so was your bootstrapping experience. What are some tactical mental models for early-stage folks who’d want to keep a handle on costs without adversely affecting their growth potential?

You’re totally right. Having bootstrapped my previous businesses, I was very cognizant about the value of a dollar. We’d never spend on anything we didn’t need to.

A few examples:

• We’d never hire for roles we hadn’t already done ourselves. That way we’d make fewer hiring mistakes and only hire when we felt absolute internal pressure to do so.
  • Still to this day, we monitor every purchase we make and we routinely stop subscriptions to products we’re no longer using. Last time I looked, we’re paying subscribers to 80+ different tools.
  • We use a financial planning tool, so that we never over spend. That way we can tweak and adjust our hiring plan, future expenses, etc., to make sure that they’re within our budget.
2 Likes