I’m Paul Joyce, Founder and CEO of Geckoboard. AMA!

Hi @Akhilesh - thanks for your question!

This is one of those topics that has meant a lot to me for a long time. Part of this is covered in my answer to James’ question here but it’s worth digging into some of the specifics.

1. As founders our job is to manifest something that exists only as an idea, into something real
  2. This is no mean feat and can be incredibly challenging
  3. Part of this is necessarily convincing yourself that it is possible…
  4. That requires inspiration, research and just a sprinkle of delusional thinking :slight_smile:
  5. The problem comes when we do this without sensitivity and project it outward
  6. In particular, when we layer in lies of omission (crowing about the good stuff but leaving out the stuff that makes us feel like crap)
  7. This is damaging to ourselves and our business when it’s an internal dialogue
  8. But has collateral damage on other founders who hear that one-sided story from their peers and are left feeling like they’re the only ones suffering
  9. That’s why communities like this, be they virtual or face-to-face, that allow founders to drop the filter and talk about some of the pain are really important
  10. One simple thing that we can all do when asked about how we’re doing by another founder is to present a balanced view
  11. Instead of saying:

We’re doing great! Just launched a new feature and closed a Series A with investors x.”

you could try

We just closed a large series A which I’m delighted about. But I’m struggling with how I’m going to meet the expectations of our team and investors”

or

We landed marquee client y but lost a couple of valuable customers that has caused me some concern

1. I’ve found this opens up conversations, is a great way of building mutual trust which can even lead you to a discussion that can help with those pressing concerns (there are always pressing concerns)
  2. If you’re interested, I wrote about his in more detail here
3 Likes