I'm Aye Moah, CEO and Co-founder of Boomerang. AMA about building a profitable, bootstrapped category-creating company

Yes. Today is actually our meeting day! We set aside Thursdays for all our weekly update meetings. So for the exec team, it’s back to back meetings and can be rough. I tried to start Thursdays with a 30 min of yoga in the morning before sitting down at my desk to get my mind centered and ready for the onslaught of new info and decisions to be made. One other thing I do every day is keeping my lunch hour open religiously. I get up and pick some veggies from my indoor garden to eat with my lunch. Then my husband (who’s also my co-founder) and I take a walk around the neighborhood for about 30 mins. I think it’s important for us to refill our mental reserve in nature to ride the afternoon slump.

When I stepped into the CEO role, one of the first things I did was to write out this long form document called “Boomerang Guiding Principles”. Which includes the principles that guide us as a team and a manual for how we communicate as a team. I outlined in detail what information should go in which medium (Slack, Wiki, Email), how to schedule a meeting, how to run a weekly status update etc.

We also do a daily video standup to see each other as humans and figure out bottlenecks and dependencies, keeping each other updated on what’s going on. We followed that live standups with everyone sending a slack written update in the #daily-standup channel for record keeping so if someone is on vacation they can catch up easily on the pulse of the team.

We also do a 2 week ahead review at every Monday standup by opening up the company calendar and talking through the major things coming up.

2 Likes