I'm Claire Lew, CEO and Co-founder of Know Your Team. AMA!

Thanks for these questions, Krish!

For your first question:

As you mentioned, the original pricing model of Know Your Team (back when it used to be called Know Your Company) was that we charged $100 per person one-time – and that’s it. So if you had 25 people, KYC would cost $2,500 for your team. The reason we’d set up this pricing was because we wanted to encourage people to think of KYC as a program – an investment you made in getting feedback + encouraging your team to be open and honest. We felt with a typical monthly subscription model, it’d be too easy to say “you know what, it’s $10/mo, and it’s just this app I turn on and then do nothing with…” Rather, we wanted leaders who purchased KYC to think, "I invested $2,500 in this, so now I want to take real actions to encourage honest feedback at our company. For us, it was about aligning behavior with the price.

We decided to change this pricing model when we turned Know Your Company into Know Your Team, because the audience and the behavior we wanted to promote changed. Know Your Team is for managers – and if the product were to cost thousands of dollars, that would make it inaccessible to them. Additionally, it’s the manager herself (or himself) who is benefitting from KYT – and so we decided to charge per manager instead of per user. So today, KYT costs $30/mo per manager. Again, it was about aligning audience + behavior with the price.

For your second question:

Transitioning from KYC to KYT was definitely a big leap for us – we re-built the product and created new marketing, new pricing, and new onboarding for essentially a new company, with only 2 people and in less than 1 year. But for us, that cost of time, effort and energy was worth the potential upside, which was serving a customer segment (new managers) who were unserved. So when we were making the decision, we kept going back to the core question: “What’s the real problem we’re solving, and for who?” It may seem cliché or even pedantic, but for us, all decisions around should we do X or Y with the transition came down to getting super clear about the exact problem we were trying to solve – and for who, first.

The 3 offerings of community, education, and software all feed into each other quite deeply. For example, the software is heavily influenced by the education and the community insights. And the software enacts the recommendations made in the education and the community. At the same time, in future iterations of KYT, my vision is to have the 3 components more deeply integrated.

5 Likes